Monday, April 15, 2013

Saturday, Saturday.......

Having had a lovely evening, we woke refreshed and ready for the next day. I was taking a Mixed Media Collage class with Heather Thomas. Not someone I knew, but I thought it might be interesting. There were only 6 of us in this workshop so a nice small number and very intimate.

We were introduced to the subject by Heather, and given instructions as to what she wanted us to do. We had to play by her rules which was interesting because, how many time have we taken a workshop and there will ALWAYS  be one person who wants to do it their way? I've even taught workshops where I've come across that, which always makes me think ,why are you taking my workshop if you don't want to learn what I'm teaching? Maybe I've been guilty of it too. As I sit here thinking about it, have I shown total disregard to my teachers? I can't remember, but I may well have done something slightly different.

Now I am home, I have looked at the piece that I did in Heathers workshop, and I will change it slightly. The end discussion and suggestions just seemed too "loud" for me, not my personality at all, so I will change it to suit me. I am not "loud", my work tends to be quite spare at times, and suits ME.

The ideas were interesting, but not something that I would necessarily want to do too often. I do do Mixed Media, but it tends to be my way.


My mixed media piece with the embellishments I have decided to use


The piece prior to having embellishments added. The area with holes is Lutrador, heated with a heat gun to expose the silk underneath. The photos show it to be very Pink which it is not and I will try and take better pictures once it is finished.

We had a lovely meal across the Ohio River in Kentucky and then it was an early night as Laura and her party were flying home the next day, and I had the long drive back to Ontario.

I never mind driving in fact, I really enjoy it, but it would have been nice to have had company. On the journey home, I had time to reflect on the classes. I think next time I should try and take something a little out of my box, and that may mean a more traditional class.

I did have a chance to have a look at the quilts, and was, as always, awed by the standard and the quality of the work. Sadly, I will have no entry this year, I just haven't had time to make anything.  I think this will change next year. 

I have decided that next year will be my last year as Workshop Convener for the Ailsa Craig Community Quilt Festival. I am so tired and I don't think that people realize how much work is involved in putting on a Quilt Festival such as the one we do. It struck me that there is a core of people who work 12 months to put this show together. I am already working on 2014 and we haven't had this show yet! I also think that people think we are employed. I hate to burst anyones bubble, but, we are all volunteers, not one of us gets paid for the work we do for the Festival and quite often its a 24/7 job. I haven't been in my studio for quite some time, and I really miss it, I don't get time to create art which I really want to do, enter shows as I don't have the work to show and just sit in my studio breathing in the creativity that could come from there. I spend way too much time answering emails and sorting things out, so I think the time has come to say enough is enough. I want to take Workshops, I never get the chance as I'm busy at the Festival, minor things such as getting lunches together to be delivered or walking the show floor, answering queries, helping at the front desk, ferrying my teachers from the Recreation centre to the workshop venue, talking to visitors, which I love doing, and just being as visible as possible. 

I have also decided that I will change my title to Director of Education. The workshop I did on Saturday with Heather also included the Director of Education for the International Quilt Festival! A lovely lady. I just think it might make the position easier to sell to anyone who might be interested in taking over. So, do feel free to contact me if you would be interested in taking on this position...........it really is a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment