Sunday, July 21, 2013

It's been a funny old week............

So, after the excitement of last Saturday, life was supposed to return to normal, but, as I mentioned in the previous post, we were hosting a soccer coach at the behest of my neighbour.

Sunday dawned bright and sunny, and I had a meeting planned with Cathy to go over Quilt Festival stuff, as we, or rather I,  need to be on the ball when I get to the UK in a couple of weeks. So we went out for lunch to catch up, and then went back to the studio to talk about various aspects of the Festival which always takes several hours rather than just one.

After she left, I made sure all was ok in the way of towels, cleaning etc., before going to the soccer ground with two children in tow, to pick up the coach. We went about fifteen minutes early as I thought that way, we would be ready and waiting at the appointed time. We got there, to find them already waiting for .........someone! Two young people, got out of the car, and we introduced ourselves, They noticed by the accent, that I wasn't local, so where was I from? "Croydon", says I, "No way!", says the girl, "I'm from Wallington!" Dear readers, that's about five miles or so from where we used to live, so we "knew" each others areas quite well.

The Coordinator and another family turned up so I made sure they knew that I was expecting to be hosting "a girl", and off we went.

I have to tell you that we had a truly wonderful week. Our lodger, Bailey, was just lovely and fitted in very well with us and was no trouble to look after, I was delighted to have her. She worked hard, and did manage to have a couple of afternoons off, so we went Maple Syrup hunting one afternoon, and then to Grand Bend the other free afternoon. That was probably the hottest day of the year, but we had fun. I enjoy shopping, (please don't tell the husband, the less he knows the better), and so does Bailey, so it was lovely to have someone to go with. We putzed in and out of the stores, and did pick up a couple of pieces. We had a brief walk through very hot sand and then got back into the car and straight to the neighbours house for supper! We also took her to Ipperwash to see the sunset, which would have been lovely but it was a little cloudy, but still beautiful.



From her point of view, it was a funny old week. The Soccer camps vary from place to place, and while she had some kids who really wanted to be there,  I got the impression that it was very much a babysitting exercise this time. There was very little interaction amongst the majority of parents, and, I don't think anybody thanked them for all the work they did with the kids. I have to say that I was lucky enough not to cook for several days this week, as the neighbours were extremely grateful to me for having one of them, and the kids had a lot of fun, but they were the exception. Very disappointing for them, especially when I hear about what other clubs did for them over the past few weeks. Oh well, I guess that's how it is.


We went out for supper on Friday and had a great time. Bailey is a big Timmy's fan, so I will be taking a surprise for her and leaving it with my friends in Croydon, then, I will have to send her on a scavenger hunt to find it! Didn't want to make it too easy for her. Sadly, I won't see her when I'm in the UK as she will not be back until the end of August, we miss each other by about two weeks.

This week for me, is going to be very busy. I have to finish my slide presentation for the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham. I am very excited about this, and will be spending the next few days working on it before going to the Apple store to learn how to" bed it in". I must admit I thoroughly enjoy my sessions, but wish I could remember it once I finish!! The hour goes so quickly and there is never enough time to write it all down, so I forget what I'm supposed to be doing. But I will try and struggle on this week with it, I managed to get an appointment for later in the week.

I am excited about meeting my teachers in Birmingham, and hope that all will be well. One of them is teaching in New Zealand this week, and tells me that there are earthquakes happening, she said she was not sure if its her presence causing it or nature at play! Knowing what she's like, I'd like to think that the earth is moving for her.

I will be out of the studio for a while, but have been trying hard to keep up and get some work done for the Gallery. I will try and go down this week and put some new things in.

The other thing I am looking forward to on my trip, is visiting Museums and galleries in London. I already have my ticket for the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition, and want to go to the V&A to see the David Bowie exhibit, that might be a stretch as I have to do that the day after I land in England as it ends when I'm in Birmingham, and the Club to the Catwalk exhibit there too, so lots to do. Will try and get to Tate Modern and look around to see what else is on. I am hoping not to take too much with me as I want to do my Christmas shopping, yes, weird I know, but fun, and I want to shop for me!! I'm also hoping to meet up with friends for lunch in various places so that should keep me out of mischief and I know my second week will fly by. It will also give me the opportunity to tie up any loose ends, but I don't think there will be any-fingers crossed!




No comments:

Post a Comment